Monday, December 3, 2007

What is unschooling?

A reader posed this question to me the other day and I would like to respond to you all. In my profile I wrote that I am an unschooler. In the homeschooling community there are so many different theories and groups. I don't think I fit into any of them 100%, and so I chose this title as I think it is the closest fit.



There are several thoughts on the idea of unschooling, I will only indulge you with mine. This is our theory involving hs, especially concerning the ages of our children currently. Our home is a place filled with games, books, maps, information, music, make believe, and fun!! Instead of having a regular school time, following someonelse's plan for my children, and forcing them to learn, I have chosen to present the ideas and let them take the lead. We keep "educational" items and toys out and ready to be used whenever the feeling strikes. We go over phonics and numbers and the alphabet regularly while driving, lying in bed, or playing. I want to make learning fun for them and I want them to be able to really learn about the things that interest them. Right now Sophie is very into sign language so we learn our Bible verses in sign language and Elijah is all about his ABC's. It is fabulous to be able to watch them grown and learn and figure all of this out.

I suppose I am an unschooler because we do not use a curriculum or live by a "learning schedule". My motto for our "home school" is "Free to Learn". I have many thoughts on the joys of homeschooling, but I think I will end now before you all get bored!!

No comments: